I bought my copy on 28th nov 07 at TS at $21.90 for disc and soundtrack package. I wanted to get the movie than to watch it at the cinema right when it was showing in August. I think it was a memento for any Singaporean to get for remembering the unique local culture we have globally - Seventh Lunar Month "Ge Tai".
I watched it last night alone at home. Wow... it my tears run for an hour plus. A bit of drama in the plot yet the scene editing and plot is more to artistic style because some emotions and ties are not that clearly show or explained. On the whole, it is a well linked and touching story of a pair of "Ge Tai" singers.
Royston, the Director, had a very interesting perspective in his filming angle. There are some very magical elements (non-realistic) that he put inside and makes up the hilarious laughing components of the show. I like the lyrics linking part in the show when the 2 sisters went to plead the "Xian Gu" for help. Nice job for the script writer. The settings and costumes were spectacular. Really "Orh-Biang" or old-fashion upon the 1st look but once you catch the details in the show, they were amazing. They really make the whole picture looks "Wow".
Last but not least, Huang Yun Ren's compositions were indeed the most pervasive after effect of the show. His compositions made such a close link to the "aunties" and "uncles" that the music became so popular amongst them. The new modern style of music making elements fused with these songs in the show makes even the younger generation grow to love them.
I would say it is the most successful local movie to create such an influence to its audiences so far. I would keep a lookout for Royston's works in future. It is worth to look forward to. Great movie and great buy for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment