July 21, 2007

Critical Period.. Some thoughts and feedback

Coming these 2 weeks will be critically important in my work and my part-time study. I am going to take over a new role as a module lead and there is not much time to prepare. I can only believe in myself and try to ask as many questions as possible during the handover from another colleague. This promotion is going to be a nice marking in my resume. Hopefully this is not the last one that I will be going through in this company. There are many opportunities here. The new direction that the HCM is moving towards looks promising in terms of prospects and efficient resource management. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and look out for future changes. Hope the light will shine brightly ahead.

It has been 9 weeks since I had started my Advance Diploma in MDIS. Time flies real quickly. I still remember when I first attended the class and the lecturers opening up the cartons of course books for the class. Now, I am looking forward to the last lesson next week for each of the 3 modules, for exam tips. Studying is enjoyable if there is interest in the content. Of the 3 modules, Advertising and Strategic Planning Management, Print Media and Journalism, I supposedly like the Advertising best. However, the lecturer 's lessons provided outdated examples and being followed the course material very closely, it became comparatively uninteresting as compared the Print Media lessons.

On the other hand, the Print Media lecturer, who had been in the Printing Press for a very long period of time, has no difficulty starting the class with interesting stories. He is the light touch of the newspapers while the lecturer for Advertising gives the hard news. I have always enjoyed his class and it is really good to have him in between the 2 lecturers. He talks to us like having a conversation session. It is rather casual yet fulfilling the required teaching content. It is a pity that I have only one last lesson with him. Sighzz...

As for the 3 lecturers for journalism, he is the only one whole make his own effort to prepare Powerpoint slides. But these slides are extremely wordy and he would only allow us to copy from the projected slide show. He would not post up online. Therefore, we will get the notes if only we are present or ask from him during the break in the following lesson to jot them down. He is the most typical one that really teaches like a lecturer. He tries to ask us questions in the class. Whenever we answer, he will reply "I see.", then he ratters on with his own talking. Sometimes I wonder if he really listens and understands what we answer. He does not tell us if we have answered his questions correctly. Sometimes I find that the classmate answered completely out of point but there has not been any corrections so far from him. I really hope he would be this "open" when marking our assignments. Most of the time, he is like an English teacher. He keeps emphasize that we have to learn a new word each day and put into use. I know that is true but it is not everyone would be determined enough to do it everyday. I admit that I am one of the lazy ones.

Like all tests and exams, I can only gather all that I have and leave the rest to my state of mind that day. I usually would perform if I have analyzed the questions correctly. I can really write well but it depends on the context of examples, whether I have enough substantial arguments and support with the examples. I can only hope for the best. Fight on! I can do it!

(Have to repeat to myself now and then. Not that I am naggy. It is because I do not hold a strong faith in myself. I have no idea how far I can go. Therefore I am always testing my limits. Self-torturing eh?... no lah.. is actually self exploration.. I do not see my strengths strong enough to compete with people... So I want to know where I have the cutting edge over others.. to find pride in something that I can really do very well and satisfying...)

No comments: